Compression Errors

Everything and anything related to the use of CIU.
Fox
Root
Root

Compression Errors

Postby Fox » 27 Mar 2016, 23:42

Hi Guys (and Gals?),

I've been backing up some games because it's a long weekend and I have a little free time. I've run into a few problems compressing which I haven't had before.

Issue #1: Precomp

Some compression methods of precomp are do not work. It's kinda like I'm running out of resources. When using @BAMsE's UCS, or @VollachR's UCC, windows will display "Precomp has stopped working". UCS will try to remake the file, but fail over and over again. UCC will restart completely and try to remake the file and also fail. Compress.bat method finishes all the way through, but seems as though precomp is failing at different times during compression. Certain compression methods go fine. Like Data1 and Data6 on BAMsE's Wither 3 conversion.

Issue #2: -m4 (and sometimes -m2 or others)

Haven't had issues with this particular method until just recently. Around 4 days now. It sometimes even happens with srep methods. Basically the whole compression just freezes. I can leave it for 6 hours and nothing will happen even.

I have a feeling that both issues are caused by a hardware problem. Maybe it's something I've changed recently (I'm leaning towards HDD). Here's a list of recent changes:

16gb 2800mhz ddr3 (4x4gb) - 16gb 2400mhz ddr4 (2x8gb)
Seagate 4tb - Seagate 8tb

Of course board, cpu, gpu and psu was also changed, but I don't think that's a problem. Also, at times It'll work just fine. Another reason why I think it's the HDD. I'm going to try another, smaller drive as soon as I can get one. Hopefully someone else had this issue before and can assist

Finally, here's a list of how the compression is running. It's from an 8tb to another 8tb. Antivirus is off at this time. Drive that's been copied to is in use by one other program (never used to be an issue). Drive it's copying to is my media drive. I'm usually watching something as compression is busy, but crashes happen even if I'm not.
My conversions
Total Conversions (So Far): 24

BAMsE
Root
Root

Re: Compression Errors

Postby BAMsE » 28 Mar 2016, 02:06

MB is new or was used before with another RAM modules?
Perform CMOS reset - it may be you have some old timings stored in BIOS and not matching SPD values.

Does the path contain any non-standard (unicode) signs?
Maybe try to move game and conversion folder to the simple-named folder on the root.

Commandline compression works well with this game?
Create simple batch file (necessarily use a pause command at the end to prevent a console window disappear) e.g.

Code: Select all

@echo off
arc a -ep1 -r -ed -w.\ %1_precomp.cab -mprecomp:v:intense:s2+srep:d1g:a2+lzma:a1:mfbt4:d256m:fb128:mc1000:lc8 "%1\*" >> "%~dp0\%1_precomp.log"
pause

to use verbose option and log output to some log file. Now you can simply drag any folder to this bat to start compression. If it stuck please note the position of last founded string (see console window or log file) - something like: 'zlib string founded at position 24350564) and modify your commandline to skip this position next time:

Code: Select all

arc a -ep1 -r -ed -w.\ %1_precomp.cab -mprecomp:i24350564:v:intense:s2+srep:d1g:a2+lzma:a1:mfbt4:d256m:fb128:mc1000:lc8 "%1\*" >> "%~dp0\%1_precomp.log"

Fox
Root
Root

Postby Fox » 28 Mar 2016, 11:02

Board was used before, but I always reset a board before I sell or start using myself.

Path is plain. "D:\Games\New Folder\The witcher 3" "to G:\new folder\TW3" (This was never an issue before)

Commandline or "compress.bat" also crashes, but continues with next Data#.bin automatically file. Funny enough during and after my post last night, the whole game compressed properly. Only last Data file on DLC conversion crashed this morning. Cache on 8tb HDD is slow. Sometimes when just copying it'll run at 3MBs whereas it should handle over 100MBs. I think the problem lies here. Will use a 1tb for conversion folder and see if it helps.

I'll also the other method you said. Thanks @BAMsE
My conversions

Fox
Root
Root

Postby Fox » 30 Mar 2016, 00:28

Still running some tests here, but seems that I got a virus somehow, somewhere. Nothing serious really, but it messed up some of my windows files. Gonna re-install on the weekend and give some feedback
My conversions

Return to “CIU Info Repository”